Original 250 page medical student's notes from lectures by John Eberle and George McClellan at Jefferson Medical College, Philadelpha, Nov. 1826 - January 1827

Original 250 page medical student's notes from lectures by John...
Original 250 page medical student's notes from lectures by John...
Original 250 page medical student's notes from lectures by John...
Original 250 page medical student's notes from lectures by John...
Original 250 page medical student's notes from lectures by John...
Original 250 page medical student's notes from lectures by John...
Original 250 page medical student's notes from lectures by John...
Original 250 page medical student's notes from lectures by John...

On a large 8vo hardbound book purchased at J. C. Auner in Philadelphia. More recent cloth backed original marbled boards, ca. 250 pp of notes on medical lectures by John Eberle and George McClellan. Beginning on one side of the book, 'Lecture 1st' by Eberle commences on Nov. 6, 1826. There are 36 pp. of notes, then student flips the book over and begins at the other end, from Nov. 27, 1826 all the way into January, 1827. Clearly written, capturing the flavor and cadence of each of the lecturers and their respective subjects, much on internal medicine, sexually transmitted diseases, gunshot wounds, heart problems and the gamut of medical topics of the day. The Jefferson Medical College was established in 1824 by George McClellan, who was intent on opening a second medical school in Philadelphia, against the objections of the medical school at the University of Pennsylvania. McClellan convinced the regents of Jefferson College in Canonsburg, PA (which soon became Washington and Jefferson College, in Washington, PA) to charter a medical school branch of their college in Philadelphia. John Eberle, a well known author of medical treatises, joined him along with two or three other doctors, and the first graduating class was in 1826. The school split officially from Jefferson College in Canonsburg in 1838, and is still extant as Sidney Kimmel Medical College, part of Thomas Jefferson University. Eberle became the Chair of Physic at the college in 1825. In 1830 he moved to Cincinnati, where he taught and practiced. McClellan stayed with the college until its official split in 1838, at which point the trustees vacated the faculty, including McClellan, and hired all new professors. This is a notebook from one of the first years of the medical college, and an invaluable source of the course matter and how medicine was taught in Philadelphia in the 1820s. Housed in a leather folding slipcase probably from the 1940s. We are unsure who took these notes, possibly a Charles Lozenberg -- that's what the name looks like anyway, but a search on ancestry websites revealed no clues. Very Good.

Item #H4347

Price: $2,500.00